Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

5 posters

Surprise angel spawn, what do I do?

joefish72

Surprise angel spawn, what do I do? Empty Surprise angel spawn, what do I do?

Post by joefish72 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Well my angels spawned unexpectedly. Just got the male a few days ago so it was a shock. Never did an angel breeding project so now I have to get all the info quick.

Already took all the livebearers out of the tank, some of them alreday got whooped by the angels, but they all survived.

I moved a bunch of the eggs into a fry saver because I thought my cories had placed the eggs. Here is a short video of the female angel placing egss (which I saw after moving the first batch).Surprise angel spawn, what do I do? Th_MOV03123
    alan j t
    alan j t

Surprise angel spawn, what do I do? Empty Re: Surprise angel spawn, what do I do?

Post by alan j t Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:27 am

if ya got the room, go for it.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Surprise angel spawn, what do I do? Empty Re: Surprise angel spawn, what do I do?

Post by Fern Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:58 pm

I never expect too much from the first spawn. Leave the eggs with the parents next time around, I pull them a few days after free swimming to a small tank with a sponge filter and feed de-capped brine and first bites.
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Did the male fertilize the eggs? Or do you have 2 females? If they all turn white (fungus) they were not fertilized by the male. If new to the tank quite often no eggs survive as the parents are stressed already and will eat the eggs. If they are taking care of them leave a light on to decrease stress.
    joefish72

Post by joefish72 Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:42 pm

FishVixen wrote:Did the male fertilize the eggs? Or do you have 2 females? If they all turn white (fungus) they were not fertilized by the male. If new to the tank quite often no eggs survive as the parents are stressed already and will eat the eggs. If they are taking care of them leave a light on to decrease stress.

Well don't you know I did everything wrong, shame on me. The eggs I moved was because I thought they were cory eggs but it turns out it was a good mistake since all the remaining eggs are gone, I assume eaten. I have about 2 dozen left in the fry saver and so far they are still a light orange color but I have little hope since I moved them in mid placement. Just goes to show no matter how much you think you know it's never enough.

It is an absolute male and female (male blue blusher was given to me & the female marble well even I figured that one out).
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm still awaiting my first mating of Angels.. and I suspect it will come much like yours!.. Without planning!.. Luckily I had a good tutor here in Va till the Wench left for Fla!... Good luck!.. Bill in Va.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Everyone has got to make some mistakes till they figure out how its done, sometimes some very good things come from mistakes though!
    Sounds like those eggs you saved are good!

P.s. Bill you are too much! Laughing
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm glad ya took the "wench" thing in the manner intended... For all the rest of ya... She's the wench that got me re-engaged back into this maddening hobby!..For which I'm truly thankful. Bill in Va.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh she is a wench and proud of it Laughing
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:29 pm

That's why I felt so free in the reference!.. Give her a hug from me!.. Bill in va.
    joefish72

Post by joefish72 Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Well , sadly all my mistakes lead to total failure, there is no excuse for being poorly informed but I was caught off guard.

The one positive is now I can tell my wife I need a few more tanks for the next time the angels spawn.

As for Fern being a wench, I don't know her that well so I'll reserve judgement. I'm not sure if my grade is higher or lower than wench myself.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 pm

lol we were referring to vixen but I defiantly classify as a wench Twisted Evil

10g with a well seeded sponge filter works great for first stage angel rearing! Let the parents do the hard work of getting them free swimming for you though!
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Hey with angels don't worry once they start every 8 to 15 days you will have eggs! (sometime they take breaks but not often)

Yes I'm Here and a wench! A fishWench that is!!!!!!!! Muhaha!!!!!!!!! I get those "old" men like Bill hooked! LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm