Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

3 posters

Angel Fry.

williemcd
    williemcd

Angel Fry. Empty Angel Fry.

Post by williemcd Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Ok.. I've got the "pulling of fry" down pat. I do allow the parents to get them to school and rear them for the first 2 or 3 day of free swimming.. Then I use some larger than normal airline tubing that has been attached to a length (2 feet) of rigid bamboo stake. Start a siphon and suck em right out of the tank (after getting about a inch of water in the receiving bucket first. Off they go to a bb tank stocked with a small piece of driftwood, java moss, hornwort and a sponge filter. Oh.. and way too many pond snails. I've used this process 2 times before with no problems. Well this last batch, I, without thinking, turned off the tank light before going to bed. The next morning it appears the snails took the opportunity to engage in a feast on the dormant fry in the darkness of night!... I wouldn't have thought that snails could do that!.. Am I looking in the wrong direction? Bill in Va.
    Finsandfeathers
    Finsandfeathers
    Modorater

Angel Fry. Empty Re: Angel Fry.

Post by Finsandfeathers Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Snails can be sneaky buggers!!

I tried something different with Jaws & Lil Woman this time, had put a trio of A. Thomasi in with them to see if that would make a difference in them guarding their spawn site, worked splendidly. So instead of moving the fry I moved the parents as an experiment when they were free swimming 2 days. Seeing as I'm down to 2 pairs it was actually feasible anyways the short of it leaving the fry in the tank they were hatched has worked better than some of the experiments I've tried. The growth on this group has been amazing!!
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

yup snails will eat fry if they can! seen it done! Tadpoles will also eat angel fry Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:04 pm