Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

+2
Fern
williemcd
6 posters

Bill's first foray into Africans.

williemcd
    williemcd

Bill's first foray into Africans. Empty Bill's first foray into Africans.

Post by williemcd Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Ryan (aka Alowishus) came over and spent a couple of hours helping me pick out my first selection. Him at the keyboard, flying from site to site.. My requirements were: mature size of 5 inches or less and no super agressive fish. Their home will be a 75G I'm picking up later today. What did we decide on? Demasoni's.... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_demasoni.php

How about the African Fans on this forum chime in on our selection and offer up a few suggestions too!.. Bill in Va.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Bill's first foray into Africans. Empty Re: Bill's first foray into Africans.

Post by Fern Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:20 pm

I would avoid the Malawi Mbuna as a first African, they tend to be pretty aggressive.
    Look more for open water cichlids, they tend to be a little more mellow.

I really think that C. Moorii would be a good first fish for you http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1061 They do get on the large side but are downright peaceful! 6 of them in a 75g would work just fine, and later on you can do some mid sized rock dwellers in there with them.
    mike205

Post by mike205 Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:10 pm

i agree with fern
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 am

Everyone who has had Demasoni's that I have known has passed them very quickly to newbies due to the aggression. I think the Moorii would also be better for a first african cichlid.
    bingerz

Post by bingerz Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

i dunno if demasoni's are a good beginner fish. ive read they are super aggressive, that they should be kept in groups of 12+. any less and the dominant male will kill off one at a time. i think if you're looking for an easy beginner fish...i hear acei's are good fish to start from.
    Barnacle
    Barnacle

Post by Barnacle Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:13 pm

do you want a show tank or are you setting up a breeder tank?
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:22 pm

I was planning on a dozen to start out with... Fern.. I'm so cheap, I just make myself justify a 75 gallon tank to just 6 fish!....Hence the 5 inch limitation... I'll have to get Ryan to chime in on here...LOL...
    Another specie I am considering is Saulosi.. or Ruby Greens... (why did I give four away I'll never know)..<grin>..
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 am

You can do 6 mooriis and a dozen ruby greens in that tank no problem! That would be a very nice beginner tank! Fairly mellow and very pretty! I can set you up on the mooriis and shay should have some ruby greens ready to go pretty darn soon!
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I can't find a link on the mooriis... need to research them.. and keep me in mind when the ruby's are ready!.. Bil l
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:10 am