Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

4 posters

African butterfly fish.....

H2O Nyck
    H2O Nyck
    Modorater

African butterfly fish..... Empty African butterfly fish.....

Post by H2O Nyck Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:16 pm

I am looking into may be getting a african butterfly fish or two, does anyone have any suggestions about these fish? I know that they can be Jumpers but beyond that i have little knowledge, can anyone Help?
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

African butterfly fish..... Empty Re: African butterfly fish.....

Post by Fern Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 pm

For 2 you will need a 55g tank. They are territorial so they will each take an end. You will want plants in there for them to hang out it. They are opportunistic hunters and only eat it if it comes near them. Bottom dwelling fish are mostly safe from being eaten. You will need to avoid fin nippers as tank mates, those fins just beg to be nipped on!
    They are serious jumpers!!!!! I made the mistake of thinking I could keep 2 in my sump and that they would be ok with the massive amount of water and not want to jump...... Well the next morning one was 5 feet away on the floor. A few hours after that I found the other 6 FEET away in an empty bucket... They did enjoy freeze dried shrimp for the short time that I had them. You really need to target feed them because they are lazy eaters!
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:36 am

yes major jumper and find any hole to get out of. I would buy a large piece of netting from a fabric shop and cover the whole tank and tie it down with elastic. I had to do this with eels.
    bastet56
    bastet56

Post by bastet56 Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:07 am

my butterflys eat flakes with the others, took them only 2 days to catch on. Yes they are territorial, one on one side of the tank, one on the other. They also eat frozen bloodworms and freeze dried tubiflex worms. I lost one, who we have yet to find, out of a 3/4" slit between the filter and tank. Guess the cats got him.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:29 pm