Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

4 posters

Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank.

MysticHalo

Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank. Empty Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank.

Post by MysticHalo Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Okay, so I'll try to be as brief as I possibly can. Current tanks listed below:

Cichlid tank:
    -1 Red Zebra
    -1 Auratus
    -1 Kenyi

Semi-Aggressive
    -7 Tiger Barbs
    -1 Cherry Barb
    -1 Rainbow Shark
    -2 Hybrid Jaguar Catfish
    -1 Pictus Catfish
    -3 Clown Loaches
    -1 Fiddler Crab (decor positions so she can get out of the water as needed)
    -13 Ghost Shrimp

Turtle tank:
    -2 Plecostomus

We've only had all the fish for just over two months, so they're all still pretty small. I'm relatively new to fish, but not to pet care and maintenance, and have learned a lot since these two were set up. So we finally bought a nice 75 gallon tank in the hopes of consolidating the fish into one tank. It was set up on Tuesday with a Marineland Emperor 400, heater, light, decor, etc. and has been running since then. Water conditioner and live bacteria were added on Tuesday as well.

So we want to add the Plecos first, but I wanted to know if I need be concerned with the fact that they've been in the turtle tank for the past two months. I keep the turtle tank pretty clean with 25% changes every week, test the water weekly, add waste remover and have a moss ball. I rinse the filter twice a week (otherwise it stops filtering).

With the fish tanks, I know to not to the filter at the same time I do a water change or cleaning, and never to do the bio wheel unless absolutely necessary. I just want to ensure I set this new tank up the right way.

Also, 3 days after adding 3 clown loaches to the semi-aggressive tank, ick appeared on the clown loaches & the larger Hybrid Jaguar only. The Tiger Barbs were clearly stressed, but were doing much better after day 3 of treatment. I've read that it is recommended to dose the Ick treatment for 3-4 days after all symptoms disappear, but that it's also recommended to treat for 21 days to be sure (lifecycle of the parasite). I really want to make the transition to the 75 gallon tank as smooth as possible, so what are your recommendations for moving the fish? Any and all advise is welcome; I believe in the benefits of learning from others' experiences.

Thank you in advance.

~Halo
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank. Empty Re: Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank.

Post by FishVixen Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 pm

What type of plecos and how big are they? do you have a jaguar catfish or a false jaguar catfish, (pic would help) With the Pictus cat as with only one of them he may be prone to stress which means more likely to to get disease. Never worry about the lengh of a post the more info the better.You have quite a mix and some of those barbs may become food later for the jaguar cat. Surprised the shrimp are still in there. What works for one may not work for another that's the odd part of this hobby.
    nphocus

Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank. Empty Re: Moving Plecos from turtle tank to fish tank.

Post by nphocus Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:57 am

Plecos are in my experience some of the hardiest and most tolerant fish you will ever come across. I've seen plecos live thru tank conditions kill all other fish outright. I think that most of it has to do with their ability to gulp air and digest it.
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Yes common plecos are hardy but some are much less tolerant.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 am

The African cichlids need to stay in their own tank!
    If the plecos are common plecos they get 2-3 feet long....
    Treat the ich as directed and wait a full month before moving over any more fish, that way you know the ich is gone and your other fish wont get it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:39 am