Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

5 posters

Finally - Success!

snookemz
    snookemz

Finally - Success!  Empty Finally - Success!

Post by snookemz Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Ok so I had NO luck with any kind of sponge over my intake on the 10 gallon - everything just turned gross no matter what tips and tricks I followed so I ordered a sponge that was actually meant to go over the intake. OF COURSE before it could arrive, I found a better one locally lol
    Fluval make a pre-filter ($2.34) for the stick intakes that is fantastic - lovelovelove it. Its black so it blends in, its made of stuff thats meant to be in water, and it doesn't screw with the intake's ability to ya know, intake.

The other tank, 30g, has a Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter - cheap and effective. Problem? The intake isnt a cute little stick that I can stick a sponge on. I've been baffled with it. I even tried taking it apart and putting the sponge on the inside to block things from coming in - turned into a big glob of nasty. I figured out the solution today! Marineland bonded foam sleeves - meant for canister filters. The size U fits my filter PERFECTLY!!! Its $8 for 3 of them, buuuut if I cut it in half it's the right size so its like getting 6 for $8 - which is perfect by me Smile

I'm sooo stoked that I figured out solutions - and they don't require shipping from across the ocean!
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Finally - Success!  Empty Re: Finally - Success!

Post by Fern Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm

cheers Very cool!!!
    When they get gunked up you can take them to the sink to wash them up! All the crud will get caught on those so you will rarely have to clean your filter. The filter will house most all of your beneficial bacteria so you can clean the prefilters in the sink without any worry's!
    snookemz
    snookemz

Post by snookemz Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 pm

ooo I didn't even think of that! That will be nice on the fluval prefilter - I won't have to get out and buy a new one! I thought that other filter was going to make me lose my mind - soooo glad its got a solution and now its going to be even easier :p
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Ya, my lfs sells a few different sizes on prefilter sponges. I have been using them for some time and slowly swapping over to filters that I can use them with.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Im gonna have to check into this. Thats a good find and thanks for sharing.
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 am

I use car wash sponges from Lowes just slice i slit large enough for the tube and slip it on.
    snookemz
    snookemz

Post by snookemz Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:31 am

I tried that on the 10 and it slowed the intake down so low that it was pretty pointless to even run it. I don't have a airpump hooked to that tank (other pumps are at the other house) so I need the main filter to provide the airflow. Plus on a 10gallon, thats a LOT of space to use up!
    H2O Nyck
    H2O Nyck
    Modorater

Post by H2O Nyck Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:30 pm

wow this prefilter is a great idea ! im gonna have to start using it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm