Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Clear Water

rmguy

Clear Water

Post by rmguy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi everyone.
    I have a 10 gallon tank and a 55 gallon tank. The tanks are clean, I just can't seem to keep my water clear. Neither of my tanks have held clear water for more than a couple days at a time. What can I do?
    Should I add another filter to the tanks? Is there any type of solution I can use for the water. From what I understand, it is the bacteria that causes the cloudiness.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Fern
    Admin

Re: Clear Water

Post by Fern on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:21 pm

What kinds of filtration are on the tanks, what kind of fish in the tanks, what kind of lighting, are they planted?
    Get your phosphates tested, high phosphates are usually the cause of algae blooms.

extra filtration is always a good thing Wink

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Spot on on the bacteria causing cloudiness, especially if the tanks are new. As well as phosphates... If the tanks are new, keep testing your water to make sure your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates don't get out of hand but leave them alone unless absolutely necessary. They should clear up on their own. A lot of times, people will inadvertently restart their whole cycle by trying to clear up cloudiness.

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm

I agree with Charlie. I would not do a water change unless your water quality starts to decline. If it's white cloudiness then your beneficial bacteria is blooming and living in the water column itself instead of "normal" places (filter media, substrate bed, decor, ect..)

Is the cloudiness green or white?
    How long have the tanks been set up?

rmguy

Post by rmguy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm

The 55 gallon has been set up for about 5 months now. The cloudiness in the 55 gallon tank is green. This is the algea, it was next to a window (which I just moved away from the window about 2 weeks ago). The 10 gallon is white cloudy and has only been running for about 3 weeks now. The 10 gallon has just dalmation mollys, and the 55 gallon has glow fish and goldfish.
    I am also unsure of how to get rid of the algea in the 55 gallon tank now that it is no longer by a window.
    Thanks guys.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

The white cloud is the beginning of a green cloud.

If you can just let it run its course..... Other wise hit it with tons of water changes, add more filtration and get a UV sterilizer. If you dont do all of those things it will be a battle of many many months. If you let it run its course it should be only a month or 2 and then you will never have the issue again in those tanks.

Its up to you what course you take.....

Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 am

Trying to fight it sometimes prolongs the battle......

williemcd

Post by williemcd on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 am

OR... on the green algae tank ya can cover the tank for 3-5 days depriving it of ANY light.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 am

Ya I agree. Moving the 55 away from the window is key! But ya don't give it any light for a few days and that should help. Plus your fish will enjoy the algae snack. The ten gallon. Ya that one don't fight it. It just needs to run its course. Another filter maybe. But they will both work themselves out. All due time my friend.

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:03 am

Make sure on both tanks that you are not overfeeding. This will escalate problems tremendously.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 am