Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Question about new tank!

rmguy

Question about new tank!

Post by rmguy on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi everyone.
    I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running for about 6 months now. I recently added two Dalmation Mollys to the tank. Miss Molly is pregnant for the third time, and only about 8 babies have survived the wrath of my two gold fish. I have decided to set up a 10 gallon tank so that when Miss Molly is pregnant, she can have her new babies in the new tank so that they can grow to be big and healthy. I just set my tank up about an hour ago, and I filled the tank using 5 gallons of the 55 gallon tank's water, and 5 gallons of new water. I have also dechlorinated the water, and my test strips come out great in every category.
    When can I add Miss Molly and the smaller babies to the tank? The new filter says to wait 24 hours, but Miss Molly is going to have her babies soon, and I would also like to round up all the little ones before they become dinner. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

FISH CRAZY

Re: Question about new tank!

Post by FISH CRAZY on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 am

You could have gone with a
    Lee's Multi-Purpose 3-Way Breeders
    $5.59
    or a
    Penn Plax Net Breeder
    $6.15
    and kept the female in the 55 tank till the ten gallon is ready to be a fry tank only. Wink and not move the female out of the 55 tank at all.

zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am

Take the filter from your old filter and squeeze it into the new tank. Make sure you get lots of the nasty gunk squeezed in the new tank cause there is a lot of good stuff in it.

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 am

If it were me, I'd put them in the same day. I bet it would be fine having used half water from the established tank. I do this all the time with no problems, just make sure to feed lightly at first so No excess ammonia builds up from unbeaten food.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:27 am

You need to grab bacteria from the 55g, it lives on the hards surfaces in your tank, especially the filter. filter squeeze is a good way to get it, also moving some of the decoration into the 10g will help too.
    Make sure you put something over the inlet of the filter for the 10g so the fry dont get sucked in. pantyhose works well for this so does filter cloth Very Happy

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Welcome aboard it was nice meeting you at the Petco event.

All the suggestions above are good. The main point is you need the beneficial bacteria from the main tank to jump start the new tank. The reason is when you start up a new tank it goes through a "CYCLE". This cycle can be deadly because the tank will build up ammonia in very high levels. This ammonia will then feed bacteria and produce Nitrites which are deadly to most fish. The nitrites will then feed another bacteria and get broken down into less harmful nitrates.

Here is a link that explains the process.
    http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html
    williemcd

Post by williemcd on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Rm.. all of the suggestions are spot on. What no one pointed out though: There is very little(if any) benefit from the water transfer you did from the 55. The bulk of your beneficial bacteria is on the filter and substrate. Worst case is to scoop up a cup or two of the substrate and put it in a portion of stocking. Just hang it in the new tank! And monitor on a daily basis the Am, No2, and No3 until you see the cycle established. Bill in Va.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:44 pm