Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

"Sinking Algae Waffers"

rcbows

"Sinking Algae Waffers"

Post by rcbows on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 am

I have been using Tetras sinking veggie wafers. I buy them at Walmart, for 3.97 a bag. I tried using the wardly brand and it clouded up the water and now I can't get rid of the slime in the tank.Anyways I bought 2 bags of Veggie wafers the other day and they wouldn't sink. I Tried everything to make them go to the bottom of the tank with no success.

I decide to call "Tetra" and they said they didn't know the problem but I should take them back to Walmart, and tell them I got a bad batch. If Walmart wouldn't take them back then call back and they would do a one time replacement on them. I am not going to take them back because I won't have anything to feed my Cory's, BN Plecos and Reg Plecos, they do eventually sink but not until they get saturated, and if I did I would have to buy some from the LFS and they are almost 3 time the price there, and not the same brand. I use (2) bags about every 2 weeks.

Has anyone ever had this experience, I'm not sure what to do. I will get replacements from Tetra, but if it happens again I will have to change brands.
    Fern
    Admin

Re: "Sinking Algae Waffers"

Post by Fern on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Honestly tetra foods have gone downhill. I only use hikari algae wafers anymore. They have much better ingredients than most other brands and I have never had an issue with them not sinking.

Alternate foods for your plecos;
    zucchini
    yellow squash
    cucumber
    peas
    Cherrys
    watermelon

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Those can get you through till you get more wafers. Ideally they are used on a treat basis.

Corys will eat flake that has hit the bottom and blood worms, they like a little more meat than plecos do, and plecos appreciate some meat too.

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    rcbows

Post by rcbows on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I've tried zucchini, squash, cucumber, green beans and peas they don't touch them. I have watched the Cory's eating the flake food, but they love the Tetra sinking Veggie wafers. I tried the Hikari at one time but they are so much more expensive. My LFS only has small bags and not consistently. I'll look online to see who has the best price.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Are you using fresh? They seem to like fresh the best.

In fish food you really do get what you pay for.
    I used to buy it in 2lb bags on the internet somewhere and that was for a few months lol

rcbows

Post by rcbows on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:41 am

Tried all of the above fresh and they won't eat it. They love the Veggie Wafers best!
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 am

My plecos's and corys like the Hikari foods better. I prefer to feed that to them anyways. You could always try making a vegie paste and freezing it. them break it off in chunks and give it to them. Fern i know you have a recipe for that. KTK05 gave me some of the stuff you made a while back. my fish loooove it. all of them!
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:37 pm

ha! recipe lol, some of this, and some of that, and what veggis are on sale and throw it all in the food processor! If you got the veggi version that was formulated for my African rift lake cichlids so it was lower in protein to help prevent any chance of bloat.
    I could give a list of the usual ingredients if yall want to make some yourself.

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 am

Yes please Smile or atleast a direction of guidance.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:35 pm

tillapia fillets (aka cheap warm water fish meat, cold water fish is too fatty)
    scallops
    whole raw shrimp with shell
    Any other random warm water seafood that happened to be on sale

zucchini
    spinach
    squash
    carrots
    cucumber
    nori sheets
    and the big important part, spirulina algae powder! any health place will have it. some vitamin c is also a good additive.

whatever you end up getting. mix in the right veggi-protine ratios for your fish. toss it all in a food processor and put small amounts in ziploc bags smooth them flat and freeze them.

Sorry for the thread jacking.....

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 pm

My plecos love canned green beans cut lengthwise. You just have to make sure you get the no salt added variety. They prefer this to fresh or frozen green beans. They also love omega one veggie rounds, deshelled frozen thawed peas, and fresh zucchini.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 am

Ya I feed my plecos almost everything but algae waffers. I will feed the waffers. But its usually more for my other fish as treats.
    Lost Ink

Post by Lost Ink on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 am

They wont eat the fresh veggies because they have only eaten the tetra food. And I would get rid of that ASAP. They are just belly filler now. No real nutritional value. If you take there food sorce away for a few days, they will eat what ever you want to give them if you do that. Its also a lot better when you change up there diet and keep it randome. feed them something different every day that way when you need to give them something special they will eat it.

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:04 pm

It may also help to add garlic to the new food. Read the thread, Garlic trick worked for me and you'll get a good idea!
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes and lots of garlic in the homemade food! Forgot that Shocked My fish garlic!

rcbows

Post by rcbows on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 am

Well followup on Veggie Wafers: Tetra said they would give me a one time replacement, but only if Walmart wouldn't take them back. I couldn't be bothered with Taking them back cause I had used half of them. They eventually sink after about 1 hour, so I used them anyways. Yesterday I bought a new bag from Walmart., if they don't sink I am going to buy bulk from Kens Fish mailorder, they are the least expensive and supposedly better quality. I can not feed live or fresh foods I must rely on flake or freeze dried foods. Neutral

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

You can also buy tons of different brands in bulk on amazon. I think it's HBH brand that is shaped like a leaf. My BNs love them!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:46 am