Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Acrylic Tanks

Acrylic Tanks

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:27 pm

I have a little 3 ish gallon acrylic tank and I love it. Love that it's one molded piece, so no seams to worry about. I haven't had a problem with scraching it as of yet (had it since Xmas.)

But I was thinking of getting the seaclear 46 gallon acrylic tank? Has anybody used an acrylic tank of this size or similar? Just curious how they hold up over time.....

Also with this model I am aware most people find the hood inadequate in some way, but I think I'm creative enough to modify it to my needs.
    Fern
    Admin

Re: Acrylic Tanks

Post by Fern on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm

The only acrylic tank I have had other than the dinky ones they sell for bettas was my 240g. Got it used and for a super deal the acrylic had bad crazing inside so there wasn't any making it better. For the ugly used tank it was I really liked it! I had it in the garage with a window shaker ac unit. the temp stayed very very stable! Acrylic is very good at insulating the water. Downside is it scratches very easy. Upside is its very light and very hard to break. Upside is you can polish out scratches but it takes a lot of elbow grease.

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Never get acrylic unless it's a great deal. Too many issues with scratching. I've even heard people say large plecos will scratch the acrylic when they suck on it.

What does this 46 acrylic sell for? You can do a 55 or 40 breeder for a buck a gallon at Petco. I would assume the price alone makes one of those tanks a better deal.

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 am

ok, I'm going to hold off for now. I need to move soon anyways and don't need more tanks on my hands!
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Its really a personal preference, if you are worried about tanks breaking just go acrylic. You can trip and slam into them and they are fine, fish are a little freaked but the tank is fine..... not that i have ever done that or anything..... Embarassed

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Hehe of course not!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:51 pm