Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Paradise fish

Sarge

Paradise fish

Post by Sarge on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:56 am

Ok so, a few days ago our paradise fish spawned. Yesterday I took the female out and put her back in the 55 where they origanlly were. Before we took the pair out we figured out that we had two males and only one female. However we never had an issue. So when I put the female hack in. Instantly the other male starting fighting with her? Any ideas why? I did put him in a seperate tank for now. Also what should I expect, or is it a good idea to put the pair that bred back together at all?

Re: Paradise fish

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:03 pm

I have no idea, but congrats on the spawn!
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Ok, so we went ahead and put them all in different tanks for now. Next question. When and what do I start feeding them. All but a couple of the fry are still floating around and feeding on their yolk sacks. But there is the few swimming around. I would like to have the best chance at them all living. So when and how do I start feeding them.
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:43 pm

I think 24 hours after the egg sack is gone. Not sure what to feed. Maybe hikari first bites
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Ok, there is some algea starting to grow on the glass which is good. right now they look like floating fuzz or something lol. they are floating upright with a black line through them. Im having trouble telling if they still are using the yolk sack or their already dead ha. they dont move except for a few. I had read somewhere that you can hard boil an egg, take the yolk blend it up in some water and use that. They said to keep it cold because it lasts a while. But that sounds like it would right? Right now I have some flake food that I crushed up and put in some water thinking that it would be like liquid food. I dont know how well it is or will work. I have put a little in the tank just in case!

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Good luck! I had forgotten about the egg trick. I've read about it a few times but never used it myself. I don't think I'd have any reservations with it though.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:53 pm

You can use flake food crush it up with a mortar and pestil. That's what I do and never had a problem.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:08 pm

I remember when I was maybe 12 I crushed up flake food using wax paper and a rolling pin!
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Ya that's how I crushed it up. Do you think putting it in water to let it soak like I am is doing anything? Or should I just stick to the ground up dry stuff.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:47 pm

I'd stick to it being dry. It's starts to decay in water over time so it might make water quality less.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Right well I have it in a little container. But it smelled a little more than just fish food this morning so. I think when I get home I'll get rid of it and just use dry flakes and boil up an egg...hopefully I have more swimmers too
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:47 pm

The bad thing with using egg is it fouls the water very quickly!
    I would do first bites or nls fry formula. If you dont want to get that just crush flake and use it dry. I just toss some flake in a Ziploc and squish and mush it while watching tv. I used to have a 'fry' food container, all the leftover powder at the bottom of any kind of fish food went in it.

If you want higher protein get brine or earthworm flake and mix it 50-50 with spirulina 20 flake (all can be found at boardroom aquatics) That was my angelfish fry mix along with the leftover powders.

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Ok cool thanks. That was kinda the route I was thinking taking anyways.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:56 pm

So i still cant tell if these fish are eating. weve only think we found one that didnt make it. so they have to be eating something. they have been free swimming for about a week now. and they swim around more and more each day. which is good. but i cant tell if their eating. now we did put some shrimp pellets in there. and they hang around by them quite a bit...also im not sure the best way to clean the tank. the bottom is getting pretty dirty. but theres so many tiny fish that i am afraid that i would hurt some if i did something to clean it. suggestions???

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I bet they're eating if they've been free swimming for a week. Else where would they get the energy to swim!?

Maybe a turkey baster would be good to suck up some of the gunk from the bottom. And just scoop out some water from the top where there are no babies to get more of a water exchange. Maybe Joe, Fern, or Zeke would have better advice as I've never had such tiny fry before, but this is what I'd imagine I'd do, lol.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Turkey baster! Thats a great idea! well part of the problem as far as changing water goes. they all sit at the top. and not just in a spot or two, they cover almost the whole area. plus they wouldnt be strong enough to avoid the current it would draw by using any kind of container to pull out water. I have a crapy home made sponge filter that im not convinced is doing anything. but now that they are swimming i think i might invest in a small in tank filter.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 pm

If they are alive they are eating, they would starve in 48 hours at that size. Also cleaning is easy, just use your hand to stir up the gunk and make the water cloudy. Then cover a siphon hose with an old piece of cloth and siphon the water out of the tank leave enough for the fry to swim around and simply refill the rest. Wait 2-3 days and repeat the process. The more water changes you do the faster the fry grow.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Hm, ya that would work as well i suppose. with the rag over the end, does it still suck up all the gunk??
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 am

Turkey baster for sediment removal and that should be good, use the baster daily or close to it.

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Ya I think thats the route im going to take. Hopefully now i can do more water changes which will the little guys grow faster Laughing
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Oh and put the water you are basting out into a nice clean fish safe container so you can double check for fry!!!!

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 am

Ahah! that would be unfortunate to loose fry over a small detail like checking to see if I sucked any up!!!

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:50 am

Yes, the cloth will catch a majority of the stuff.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 am

ok, well then ill probably do that the first time, that tank has aquired a decent amount of poo on the bottem. but i did see them eating it last night when i came home! so that was good to see them actually eat something.

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:22 am

Yay!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm