Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Filter Medias

Sarge

Filter Medias

Post by Sarge on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 pm

OK so. On another forum that I used to participate on I brought up this question and it stirred up a pretty good debate. Now I would like to see what some of you think, and what you use...my question was "what filter media should I use in HOB filters, and how often should I change them" ...something along those lines...I now know more than I did when the question came about. But now I would to see what you guys think.
    zeketaz

Re: Filter Medias

Post by zeketaz on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:55 pm

I put biomax things that are used for fluval filters on the bottom and filter floss or filter pads made for canister.

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Hm, On my penguin BIO wheels, I use walmart's aquatech carbon filters. The wheels seem to harbor tons of beneficial bacteria and I've never had water quality issues. The big filter on my "main" 29g has 2 cartridges. I change 1 every 3-4 months or so....

My other HOB filter I use carbon/zeolite mixture. This is due more to the fact that it's a turtle tank and turtles poop A LOT so I want something to combat the ammonia more. This filter also has 2 cartridges and I change 1 every 2 months or so.

I recently bought a single cartridge penguin biowheel but I haven't changed it yet. I would assume I'd do it ever 2-3 months.

In a dual cartridge situation I am a strong believer in not changing both cartridges at the same time. I believe a lot of beneficial bacteria builds up on the cartridges.

I seem to do water changes every 3 weeks or so. Or whenever the water level gets low enough to annoy me. In the fish tanks I remove probably 1/3 of the water and the turtle tanks I drain almost completely, untill there's just enough water to cover the fish.

Overfilter and understock and you can't go wrong!

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:59 pm

I need more info, like what kind of cartridges can it hold? Lets say it's a Whisper type filter you are pretty much stuck with the system they provide. Same goes for Penguin you are stuck with that little insert. If it is a strainer type filter you can add different stuff.

If the filter is a vertical insert like Penguin or whisper I use the crap they sell for the filter. If it is a strainer I only use the bio sponge, nothing else is needed if you do your water changes.

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:01 pm

At lest with the whisper filters you can put whatever fits into those little sleeves...
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Hm, ok. well what I have been doing on my penguin 350's (i have 2) I only use the cartridges to hold my media in place. I have one cartridge on each side. Then I have sponges on one side and a sponge and polishing pad on the other side. I also have a Rena 30 (it was free Very Happy ) that I have ceramic bio rings on the bottom and sponges on the top. The only filter that I have carbon in is my 29bf because it has a large piece of driftwood that still seaps tannins. But I stopped changing my filter media and using carbon after the last discusion I had and my tanks have been cleaner since. I simply rinse everything out except my bio wheels and rings, into dirty tank water. That way I dont loose any of my bacteria, and I'm saving money Cool
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I pretty much only use aquaclear for hang on filters. Their sponge bag of mixed bio things and carbon and/or crushed coral as needed.

Cascade is all I use for canisters, shove all kinds of stuff in them! Cut my own filter cloth from bulk rolls, cheaper that way. And again carbon and/or crushed coral as needed.

Wet dry sumps, 2 layers of cut to fit filter cloth then the drip tray then the bio balls, pretty much it.

On the canisters and hang ons I pretty much always used a pre filter sponge on the uptake tube. Cut way down on having to clean the actual filter and I would take the pre filter to the sink and wash the sucker out really well in tap water, had enough bacteria elsewhere and it made all my media last a whole lot longer with being able to hose out the prefilter, cant do that with the main media!

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 am

I was once told that a "breeders secret" is to only use sponge filters in any tank no matter what and you would be ok. And again never change only clean.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:02 pm

I had sponges in almost every tank, I also had hang on or canister as well. the sponge was my bacteria keeper and great to keep that stable if i fully cleaned a hang on or something.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 am

Sarge wrote:I was once told that a "breeders secret" is to only use sponge filters in any tank no matter what and you would be ok. And again never change only clean.
    After a long talks with a few breeders I went to all sponges in my fish room. I have a few power filters running on a couple tanks. The power filters just get moved to the new tanks while the sponges cycle. This comes in handy when I buy something I don't have a tank already set up for.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 am

Ya I know to use a "dirty" filter while trying to cycle a new tank or filter. I do get a little confused or maybe I'm simpy under estimating the sponge filters. We've all heard and used the frase "you can't over filter" so are the sponge filters just enough to be suficiant or do they really work that well?

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 am

Sponge filters work great, but there is a limitation. You can't over stock the tank and you have to do your weekly water changes just to be sure the filter doesn't clog up.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Ya I figured they would work well enough. Its essentially what my HOB filters are, they just move more water over more area. And ya I'm not very good at being regular with water changes so ha. However Joe I might try and grab a couple off you cause I'm trying to set up a couple small tanks to try and breed a few of my fish.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:56 am

Yay, breed your fish!
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:14 am

There are sponges that will fit over your intakes. Dont try to use a sponge as your main filtration if you dont keep up with it...... This may happen.....

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:28 am

It looks like a potatoe thats been in the pantry too long lol!

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 pm

One other thing about sponge filter my crayfish ripped them apart. Other than that they work great for my tanks.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 pm

My giant hygro grew into it, all of a sudden it started to grow very very well lol

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Ha thats funny. Now what do you guys think on timming for cleaning your filters.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Sponge filter once a week when I do water changes.
    Power filter HOB style, once a week I wash the insert to get any debris off of it. Once it can't be washed clean any more I replace it.
    Canister filter, not until I notice a reduced flow coming out of the return (about 6 months).
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:30 pm

The prefilters every 3 days when flow reduces. every other month on any filter with a prefilter. As needed without.

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Ok so im right on par then. I clean my media about once a month. And take the filters off ans clean the whole filter every other month or so. But not all at the same time ha. One at a time though. All but one tank has two filters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am