Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

My 350 Gallon Tank Cichlid

Fishsticks

My 350 Gallon Tank Cichlid

Post by Fishsticks on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I found this tank on Craigslist. The tank, sump 80 gallons and little green pump, I found for only $800.00. This tank is older and had to be re-sealed. The GLASS is 3/4 inch thick which makes the tank by itself 800lbs dry weight. I spent a week inside this 6 1/2 foot long 3 foot tall and 2 1/2 foot wide tank, pulling old seals and resealing. Very time consuming and stinky. If you reseal TAKE YOUR TIME!! The picture below is me standing next to the tank and the other one is a 50 gallon cooler sitting next to it....

After the reseal I found a cabinet builder and had them come to the house and custom make the stand in my driveway. I had the tank built for my specifications, example....its my tank I want to see everything at eye level at 5 foot 2'. The stand is 42 inches tall, with a single set of double doors. The canopy was made and finished the top by sitting flush with the ceiling with crown molding around the top. The entire tank, stand canopy measure a total of 8 feet tall. Once it was built I stained it to match the floors in my house. Total cost on stand $600.00.

I found 6 young strapping men (LOL)to lift the tank onto the stand. All 6 still struggled to lift the EMPTY tank. Once the tank was on the stand, it only gave me less then 2 feet to install rocks, drift wood, sand, water and fishes. The tank is in my living room where the TV is and up against a wall with a cut out so the tank can be seen thru to the next living room and as you walk in the front door its the first thing you see!

The tank sat cycling for 2 weeks until I placed sacrificial fish into the tank, a zebra malawi and a ice blue malawi. Both survived a week and were able to find their hiding spots before I released the big fish.

Sacrificial lamb all grown up! He is my male breeder. The babies are blue and orange. The orange males are iridescent and sooo cool looking!

I began to hear a loud noise....and yup the pump BLOWS! It was an old model that required oil. I had to spend 300.00 on a new pump that does NOT require oil!

I transferred my fish from a 55 gallon...yup 55 gallon to 350 gallon, heck of a step up.

Fish transferred:

3-4 inch Frontosa
    5 inch Albino Fancy finned Oscar (very docile)
    2 inch Tiger Oscar
    4 inch Green Severum
    3 inch Female Venestus's (3)
    2 inch male and female Yellow Labs
    3 inch bumble bee cichlid
    8 inch Freshwater snowflake eel. (properly named Ee-ly)
    2 inch Jewels (2)
    2-4 inch Orange and Blue Malwai's

All adjusted FINE and no problems since they all loved each other in a very small but habitable 55 gallon.

All my fish doubled if not tripled in size in the matter of a few months.

Since the setup of my tank over two years ago, I have had deaths, births and adoptions.

I had a terrible outbreak of an unknown bacterial problem that claimed numerous lives. Huge water changes and a cure all from Petsupermarket, healed them every time. I use parasite guards and melafix frequently to avoid any possible outbreak and it works great! Including Eely, about 3 months ago. Eely lived well past his age limit (2-3 years) for a captive Eel 4 years. Eely was a enormous 24 inches long!

After Eely died I spent the money and invested in a UV sterilizer. The water is crystal clear and no problems since!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

I have introduced mates to my favorite fish.

A male Venestus 8 inches

My Female Frontosa for my male. I traded a 70 gallon tank and stand for her....damn fish is expensive. Nothing yet and he chases her....its a love hate relationship

Current tenants:

2 Red Jewels
    3 Venestus triple pair
    2 Frontosas pair
    1 yellow lab
    2 Nicaraguan pair
    1 bumble bee
    1 severum
    1 jack dempsey
    1 black shark
    1 Pleco
    2 Zebra Obliquidens pair
    1 yellow malawi
    1 ice blue malawi
    1 Bay snook
    1 Auratus Cichlid male
    1 Albino Fancy Oscar
    1 tiger Oscar
    approx 20 Malawi orange and blue Fry 0-2 inches
    1 Venestus Fry 1 inch

All of my fish are full grown adults except the Fry ranging in sizes of 10 inches to 5 inches with most fish around 8 inches.

For a true size comparison the photo below is a 60 inch television sitting next to my tank...

I currently do water changes once a month of 100 gallons.
    I use the hose system that Aqueon has and use an extension to reach the faucet. Best 75.00 Ive ever spent!! There is no lifting 5 gallon buckets of water.

Advice: if you have a huge tank buy POND products! just as good and way cheaper!

I'm open to messages if you need anything! unfortunately Ive learned through trial and errors over the years!
    zeketaz

Re: My 350 Gallon Tank Cichlid

Post by zeketaz on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:03 pm

That thing is HUGE! It makes the t.v. look so small lol. Love the stand it looks like a little house under it.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I feel bad for the TV lol. It gets shadowed, and probably less attention and "wow nice tv" as it should! But ya that tank is super awesome!

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:30 pm

So little time and so much to say so here is a quick reply:

First they don't make strapping young men they way they used to, lol, that tank should be a 4 man job max.

You have a Harley, monster tank that you do all the maintenance on, big flatscreen, and is that a ford truck in the driveway?
    Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 am

The tank is 800lbs dry...so avoiding someone dropping it i got 6 to distribute the weight...since they had to hand lift it almost 4 feet in the air.

And.....its a Yamaha, yes i have a TV and yes its a Ford F150.....question being? No I'm not a lesbian, I'm married and we have no kids so yes I'm super woman...you found my secret hideout! Very Happy affraid

I have a jeep too....
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:16 pm

My kind of gal cheers
    (I think he was implying that you are a real chick who isn't afraid of getting dirty Very Happy )

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    has no life

Post by has no life on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:40 pm

nice jeep !!!!! an what life with out toys lol

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Fern wrote:My kind of gal cheers
    (I think he was implying that you are a real chick who isn't afraid of getting dirty Very Happy )
    That's what I was getting at, I was thinking we might have a new person to join in our collecting trips. I think this Friday we are going ot on I75 to collect in the median, it's all flooded, we saw some fish on our way back from Tampa the other day.
    Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Umm what are we collecting?? Very Happy
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Native fishys and some invasive, pretty much mucking about with nets having fun!

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    Fishsticks

Post by Fishsticks on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:32 pm

LOL...ok! ive never done that but you guys need to check out the lakes in Lehigh by Greenbriar on Joel!...Tons of mayans and others I havent seen or that I can ID.....Its the old rock pits...i fish those lakes frequently...of course throwing them back to live happily ever after. One time I caught a fish that had a rusty hook coming out of his butt...his poop hole!! with the barb end still in...I guess it made its way all the way through the fish's system. I helped him out and it took a small pull and he was born free of his anal probing adventure. Im working on Friday but on my way home around 4-6pm ill keep a look out and if I see some random people in the median Ill stop!

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Fishsticks wrote:you guys need to check out the lakes in Lehigh by Greenbriar on Joel!...Tons of mayans and others I havent seen or that I can ID.....Its the old rock pits...
    I don't know Lehigh that well, but I do hit the ditches on the way to Ladia's house. I am so bad with directions but I go along Alabama, make a left onto some street that takes me through a little town area, then make a right on some other street and I think a left after that. You know where I'm talking about right? Wink I think I'll start some threads here about collecting so we have a local resource.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:38 am