Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

2 posters

Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco

Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco Empty Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:20 pm

So two meetings ago I was fortunate enough to recieve some cherry red shrimp. I love them and I swear I don't have enough! Looking for 10-20 (to split between 2 tanks) with a few females would be nice.

Also I am on the look for a female bristlenose plecostomus. Ideally the female would be a proven long finned brown, calico, or chocolate. Would also take a short fin if she's known to throw some long finned fry (the father would be a long finned brown.)

I would be willing to trade or purchase. Things I have to trade: swordtail fry, guppy fry, "candy" or speckled platties, mexican river rock, and a large magnetic floating turtle dock.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco Empty Re: Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco

Post by Fern Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

I dont have any of what you are looking for.... but
    If you got a standard finned albino female you would get fry all over the board! I believe the albinism is a recessive trait as well as the long finned trait, so according to Gregor Mendel you would get a good mix of fry with that combo, I have always found it to be so. Albinos are sports and so are the long fins, they have just been line bred enough so that they will breed 'true' (depending on where they came from)

See this link for a run down on basic genetics.
    http://library.thinkquest.org/20830/Textbook/Genetics.htm

Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco Empty Re: Cherry red shrimp and LF brown female bristlenose pleco

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:23 pm

The only reason I really want a non albino one is because my other two males are albino. I haven't researched too far into it yet but I figured I'd try mating a LF brown female with each of my males at different times/in different tanks. The only risk of getting a standard fin that hasn't been proven to throw LF is that she may not carry the LF gene at all.

Making the allele for LF (recessive) 'l' and the allele for stadard (dominant) fins 'L'; a standard finned plec could be Ll or LL. If she were LL and bred to my ll male the only possible outcome for the fry would be Ll -> standard fins (as it take two recessive alleles for the recessive trait to show phenotypically.) If she were a standard finned female known to throw long fins then her genotype would be Ll and I'd get about 75%LF and 25% standard fins breeding her with my ll.

Now that I've typed this all out an Ll female would be great! Haha, that way I could experiment and see what genes my two standard finned albinos have.

Yay throwback to highschool BIO, thanks!!
    zeketaz
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:39 pm

scratch Glad you understand genetics cause that flew way over my head lol. I just call everything selective breeding lol
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Laughing Ya high school all over again! But its the simple version most can understand. I believe Chris01 has some that carry the long finned gene, I sent him some long fins a while back to mix into his genes. I know that his females with my dads short male is throwing some longs.

But with fish farms you dont know what you are going to get, I think they toss them all into a vat with caves and harvest what they need so mixed genes is a good likelihood.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 am

Yeah I PMed Chris, hopefully he'll notice soon : ) I also emailed a guy from AB that is based out of Ft Myers. He hasa chocolate LF trio for auction....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm