Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

locals only!

Barnacle

locals only!

Post by Barnacle on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:44 pm

lol...these are the mayans I caught a month ago

[code]

...turns out,they're not especially aggressive,so far.If anybody wants 'em....let me know
    Fern
    Admin

Re: locals only!

Post by Fern on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 pm

They are good personable fish!

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Just don't let fwc catch you leaving the lake with 'em still alive....
    Barnacle

Post by Barnacle on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the law says,don't put back in water alive.What's the problem anyway?They're not really invasive compared to the blue tilapia or peacock bass,which the FWC imported.It is illegal to fish w/a rod and reel though,even if you are targeting these species.A perfect example of the gov creating a problem to justify their existence
    crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:53 pm

You're right Barnacle, I misread that section. Back in MT you couldn't bring live fish away from where you were fishing, hoping to prevent bucket biologists from introducing fish.
    I never caught that part about not fishing for them with rod and reel though, very interesting...
    And you are absolutely right about the creation of a problem... Nobody ever thinks before they act anymore.
    Barnacle

Post by Barnacle on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah charlie,no one is allowed to fish w/rod and reel without a license.Now if your reel doesn't reel,you're ok!lol...or of course...cane poles
    On the other hand,I don't know what power they have.I mean if they give you a ticket,do you really have to pay?
    Barnacle

Post by Barnacle on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

.... and why couldn't they test the theory that a P.bass would not decimate the L.M.bass pop,like you said.Now they've created a hybrid that is even more dominant,that will compete w P.bass.Seems to me like this hybrid will also destroy the L.M.bass.These guys have proven to be idiots!They're actually breaking their own laws!
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 am

I have spoken with FWC on the Mayans, taking them home for pets is fine. Just so long as they dont go back into the water alive. They are really good to eat as well, I have eaten my fair share or them, mostly small guys pan fried with garlic and butter, really like tillapia in taste.

crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:09 pm

I see what you are saying Barnacle. I thought you meant that that specific fish was illegal to actively fish for. But I got it now. Sometimes I'm not so quick on the uptake;) I will be getting my freshwater license soon, now that I am officially considered a resident Smile I got my salt license already, but figured I'd wait to get my fresh, since most of my fishing is done in salt water. Definitely looking forward to doing some more fishing down here, since you guys have so many more species available than back home.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Last I checked you could fish in salt from shore without a license if you are a resident scratch

Barnacle

Post by Barnacle on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 am

Only if you are on food stamps or medicaid(saltwater only)or using a cane pole,hand line,or maybe net,unless you are in a fish management area,in which case, all bets are off!The other exception is free fishing days.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 am

That's messed up! It used to be residents could fish from shore in salt without paying a stupid fee to do it Evil or Very Mad

crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Here is the funny thing about that Fern. You need a shoreline license, but its free. You have to go to a license agent and get one, or get it over the phone(which costs money...) Or just get the resident saltwater license for like 17 bucks which covers any kind of fishing. Boat, shore, etc. Kinda wonky I agree.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Sounds like its time to get a cane pole... Rolling Eyes

I just dont fish enough to want to pay that much.... Seems they are slowly forcing the lazy fishermen out! They have also slapped in many mandatory things you've gotta have, like that swim bladder punch Rolling Eyes even if you aren't fishing deep!

I fully understand snook stamps and stuff like that for the yummy sports fish, their harvest needs to be limited due to species decline from overfishing.....

crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 pm

I know what you mean. It seems like in their attempts to make it more accessible, they are making it less so. Silly buggers.

But cane poles are the way to go. Wal-mart has collapsible ones for 10 bucks that come mostly rigged and ready to go. You just have to tie the line on and you're off. Still haven't used mine yet, but soon.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

I still have mine that my grandaddy made me in the carolinas Laughing Literally a decent stick with a line tied onto it, But little me got a big trout on it, I've been told that I shamed all the pros into packing it up Laughing

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm going to comment on some comments here:

First you should get a fishing license if you are going to fish. Even if you think you don't need it, just get one. The money goes to help manage the fish you catch.

Don't complain that $17 is too much to pay to fish all year because that license also gets you into places like the CREW reservations. These days you can just about go to one movie for $20 and maybe get a small drink and popcorn. I believe an Imax 3D movie is $17 just to get in.

Want to know what power FWC has? Same as any cop. If you don't pay a fine you can be put in jail.

Be glad we have laws in place because without them a lot of the fish we catch would be wiped out by now. I came here from New Jersey where the Striped Bass were almost fish out. The State put in heavy restrictions that people got up in arms about, but now that the stripers are back, and bigger than ever, everyone thinks it was a great idea.
    crw.npt

Post by crw.npt on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I agree Joe, I have always gotten my fishing licenses for that exact reason. And I have gotten checked several times while I've been out fishing. I don't know about down here, but in MT it was a $500 fine, and a one or five year loss of privileges(can't remember which). Not worth not spending 35 bucks in my opinion(yes, it was that much for my license back there, but it included fishing, a warmwater gamefish stamp, small game, and upland game birds, so not too bad really)
    Barnacle

Post by Barnacle on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm

As I've detailed,the fwc is responsible for destroying fish pops and you want to give them cred! btw-what do movies have to do with fishing?nothing at all. people can follow restrictions without some jerk with a gun harrassing them while they're having a good time,fishing.I guess in n.j.they have nothing but restrictions,they don't even let you pump your own gas,and want you to live in fear of what would go wrong without the government!lol-Thanks for reminding me how people really are

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 am