Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

gross - lost a customer for sure

snookemz

gross - lost a customer for sure

Post by snookemz on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I went into this little pet store that's new in town. They advertise a lot, shop is small and hard to find, they even wrapped a van with their advertising. Its called Pet Fun.
    Its closer than the other fish shop we love (Aquarium Oddballs) so we went in to check their stock and inquire about trades (I have some fish that came with the bowfront and we don't need them with our stock). So we went in, the fish part is in the back, kinda secluded and the owner is being SUPER pushy with a customer, trying to sell them certain fish by lying about cheaper fish (HUGE strike!).
    I got to the back and looked around and I noticed a SUPER BRIGHT fish, like hard to miss bright. I go to check it out and it a tank full of silver lyretail mollies - that are very beautiful on their own - that have been tattooed Sad They had mulitcolored neon stripes, a V-Tech logo, hearts, lipsticks, stars, all in neon colors tattooed on these fish Sad
    When the other people there asked about the fish the owner said "Oh those are tattooed, not by me though, I didn't have time with THIS batch. They're expensive because we kill about 1/2 the fish when we do it because of the process. So these are like, rare."

No, they're not RARE, they're lucky you didn't kill them.

No WAY I'm not giving them a dime of my money or a fish of mine. They have THAT little regard for the life of their fish - its sick! There were easily 100 mollies in this 10gallon tank that were tattooed. So that means they also killed 100 mollies in the process Sad I just can't support that!!

So I went to Aquarium Oddballs and worked out a trade (he'll keep the fish for 2 days to insure their health of course) and told the chick in the shop and she was baffled! I'd definately never recomend the Pet Fun shop to ANYONE. Pushy owner, lying about fish, and killing fish to make them "pretty."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of us really appreciate the natural beauty of fish? Isn't that why we're in the hobby? I planted my tanks to have the most natural look I could - not to get tattooed fish. Besides, they look stupid! Its not like they have some beautiful art on them - its blobs of ink in shapes. It spreads and doesn't allow nice form. The fish sure didn't ask for the tattoo, it wasn't in its best interest and it wasn't done to keep the fish healthy, it was done to have some designer fish that your kids think are cool Sad neeeever going back there.
    Fern
    Admin

Re: gross - lost a customer for sure

Post by Fern on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Oh god now that is sick! Poor mollys Sad
    That is cruelty pure and simple Sad
    H2O Nyck
    Modorater

Post by H2O Nyck on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm

WOW Places like that make me sick, I would NOT have bought from them, Or sold to them either. I would have been mad enough to make a scene, most shops here dont have tattooed fish...... I Love the Natural wonder and look of the original fish. Why change something that is perfect?
    Ben

Post by Ben on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 pm

I tend to have a bit of an attitude and a big mouth I gurantee I would have made a scene. That is ridiculous and absurd. I can't put my thoughts on here of what I would like to say to that person.
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:44 am

Well for one thing the dye kills the fish in usually less than 6 months so those poor fish will suffer from poisoning. I would start protesting the shop. Read up everything on dyed fish and make a flier about the cruelty of tattooed fish and the shops that sell them and hand them out just off the property line. Hit em where it hurts the wallet.
    dano

Post by dano on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:44 am

You should have bought all the poor buggers....You could have given them a good home and comfort during their shortened life span.
    snookemz

Post by snookemz on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Well I couldn't say much more than "oh my god that's cruel! This is a sick shop, wonder if they tattoo and kill the bunnies for fun too?" to the customer buying the set up and fish the same day (yes I explained that bad idea too, the dad looked disgusted annd they walked out empty handed soon after me).

I posted on fb that I wouldn't give them a dime and hoped my friends wouldn't either. I'm considering a Craigslist post and this weekend I will be getting pictures of the fish and their living conditions as I'm filing a complaint based on cruelty with animal control, the humane society, and contacting a news station here that loves these stories.

So yes, hitting them where it hurts for sure but covering all bases and my own ass first.
    snookemz

Post by snookemz on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I wish I could have bought them all, except that gives them the message its ok and in demand Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 am