Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Is there any......

zeketaz

Is there any......

Post by zeketaz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 pm

First aid kits we need for saltwater/reef tanks? I have a first aid kit for my freshwater lol. As far as test kits go also what all will I need?
    Fern
    Admin

Re: Is there any......

Post by Fern on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 pm

API Reef master test kit is most of what you will need. Most of the other tests that you will need you may already have, if they have a salt chart with them? not too many are salt or fresh specific on the basic ones, they just have a different color chart.

you will need coral RX to dip your incoming corals with, it stuns inverts and worms and you can shake them off, its a must for safe reefing!

Its really tricky to medicate in salt, it really requires pulling the fish to a QT tank and medicating there (most meds are the same) most meds dont mix with corals and live rocks.

The skunk cleaner shrimp will take care of any parasite problems on fish including ich!

You will need buffers, KH and calcium buffers will come into play once your Coraline algae starts growing(the purple stuff) and its a must with corals. and you MUST test before you dose with them to keep your parameters in line!

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm

And I feel a headache brewing lol..so confusing
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm

lol! I know how you feel!!!! Start with getting a bucket of Red Sea salt (what I use and like) and get the Reef Master test kit by API and that will get you started.

Using the KH and Calcium additives is pretty easy, you test see how low you are, read the bottle for the additive and it pretty much tells you how much to add!............. but you wont need them yet!

You will need to get some bulk carbon and a thing of phosphate remover, either the measure and bag it yourself or the pre bagged stuff. They pull the ucky gunkys from the water pretty much.

so in a nut shell you shouldn't need meds for salt, theres either a critter to take care of the issue or a medicated food you can use, so just get it as needed kinda deal!

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 pm