Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

I'm new here

Muddoggie

I'm new here

Post by Muddoggie on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 pm

I got into fish when I worked at Paramount Aquatics in Jacksonville in the late 60' early 70's (yes, I that old). I have had tanks off and on over the years and tried to have some aquatics around as my 4 children were growing up - partially successful. I still had some stainless steal framed tanks with slate bottoms - yes, I am that old. I never had anything much over 20 gallons.
    As life moves on I find myself needing to stay home and provide family care.
    I have a daughter (#2) who is into fish and she has been trying to engage my for some time. I finally decided what I wanted and she fixed me up.
    I am going towards a somewhat native environment (I am a Florida Cracker and spent way too much time in swamps).
    With her help I have a 75 gallon set up with lots of substrate to support a plant rich environment. I am slowly adding various ditch fish and non-indigenous bottom feeders.
    I am slowly achieving an "uplands estuary" look - similar to what you might see with a mask and snorkel if you dove in shallow waters that stay flooded all year but in an area with reasonable sun (more than a swamp). So far so good - no major upsets. I am trying for a balance of nutrients produced by the fish and plant uptake of the various forms on nitrogen, potassium, phosphates and the like.
    One of my prior careers found me as the owner of a waste water management company where we utilized and created many forms of waste remediation. I had system that took in lots of human waste and I was able to safely drink small quantities of the effluent without risk. The state of Florida regulatory agencies do not look favorably on natural remediation except at the microbe level due the variance of nutrient loading.
    I no longer have to answer to those folks so I am off doing my own thing and learning more along the way. So far I have remained "in the tank", but I want to venture into facilitative bacteria in a sump environment in time. Facilitative bacteria is some of the most aggressive for waste water and live at the boundary of aerobic and anaerobic (no oxygen) and, in many cases will morph or change based on the nutrient flow.
    I am NOT a Frankenstein and the health of the tank and the residents there of. But who knows, maybe I can innovate some new technology that can help our aquatic friends and maybe even we humans. Time will tell. Plus I enjoy the hours spent watching the non-stop entertainment that the friends in my tank provide!!
    I look forward to my experiences here.
    Mud Doggie
    Fern
    Admin

Re: I'm new here

Post by Fern on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 am

Glad to see you finally on here Dad!!!!
    Now you need to get some pictures up of your tank Wink

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am

Yes have heard lots about your tank..need pics Smile Oh and HI cheers

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

It all sounds good to me, except drinking the poop water, lol. I know it's safe and I've seen people do it before but it's kind of a don't tell me and I'll love it type thing.
    Finsandfeathers
    Modorater

Post by Finsandfeathers on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:19 pm

YAY!!! Ferkies daddy joined us!!! Welcome!!!
    Muddoggie

Post by Muddoggie on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks folks!
    Pictures to follow.
    Lost Ink

Post by Lost Ink on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Great to have you on board see a lot of posts on here about your tanks from fern. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us with your pics.
    Muddoggie

New and needing instructions . . .

Post by Muddoggie on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

OK,
    So I took a few pictures but I don't have a clue how to post them. A "Post Pictures" button does not seem to exist. Fern . . . HELP !!
    has no life

Post by has no life on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm

hello an welcome . there is a post on here some where that show u step by step how to psot pics on here . but for the life of me i cant find it confused
    Lost Ink

Post by Lost Ink on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 am

Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

I may have disabled that... (they want $ for extra storage space)

use photobucket.com just make an account and upload your pic and copy the img link and paste it on here.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:11 am

Muddoggie wrote:OK,
    So I took a few pictures but I don't have a clue how to post them. A "Post Pictures" button does not seem to exist. Fern . . . HELP !!

You have to put your pictures on photobucket.com
    Then after the picture has been uploaded there are a few links under the picture
    You right click and copy the link that says "IMG Code"
    then in your post here you right click and hit paste
    this puts the link in the post
    when you finish you will see the picture in your post
    Muddoggie

The First Pictures - Muddoggie Dad

Post by Muddoggie on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:44 am

A general view with one of the Florida Flags in the middle.

Two Florida Flags.

Look close and there are two Blue Fin Killi in the middle.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 am

Very nice tank, I like the natural look.
    Great job on getting that Flag in focus, it takes me forever to get crisp shots like that.
    williemcd

Post by williemcd on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Ferns Dad!.. Damn guy.. you sound ALMOST as old as me!.. Ya raised a great daughter in that she's helped me tons in my short hobby-life!..
    Welcome to a great site! Bill in Va.
    Muddoggie

Post by Muddoggie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks, Bill in Va. I do have you by a couple of years and thanks for the complements on Fern, I think she is really special.

I have been around fish some in my life, but she got me interested again and I am amazed by her knowledge myself. Anything I don't know she seems to know or knows were to go and find out. Fresh and Salt, she breeds most everything and seems to have a "wet thumb" when it comes to this stuff. Also she works with a great and knowledgeable group.
    Again, thanks Bill for the good words.
    williemcd

Post by williemcd on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:15 pm

FD..(Ferns Dad)... I had the joy this past summer of having my folks come down for a visit enroute to a wedding a couple of hours south of us.. (They're up in upstate NY and just celebrated their 65th anniversary)... Well.. I'd only been back into the hobby since Feb of 2011. When they came down in Sept they walked in on 700G of freshwater tanks, it kinda came as a surprise to them!.. Upon their return home my mom shared with me the comment my dad made to her... "Ya know, having a fish tank around wouldn't be too bad"... So for Christmas a few months ago we transported an empty 40G hex complete that I had laying around. Of course I spiffed it up a bit!...It was a rush taking my dad to THREE LFS's in their tiny town picking out his stock!.. I took the precaution of transporting some seeded sponge filters.. and some HOB floss that got him off to a good start!.. It's awesome when ya connnect/re-connect with family.. Bill in Va.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Hey now who you calling special?

If you have a pic of my old 20g anywhere it would be awesome if you could post it dad!!!

I blame you for my fish addiction by the way

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 pm