Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

5 posters

I Love Florida!

crw.npt
    crw.npt

I Love Florida! Empty I Love Florida!

Post by crw.npt Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:45 pm

So, as most of you know, I am a fairly recent transplant to the Sunshine State, but I love it more and more everyday. The never-ending surprises in the world of animals down here keeps me endlessly entertained.

About two blocks from the tattoo shop is a shopping center with a small pond with a bunch of turtles and a few koi, etc etc. On either end of the pond are two small ditches that obviously serve as drainage for the parking lots. The two ditches have been bone-dry for the last two months at least, but today when I walked by there was about four inches of water in them.

Me being me, I had to look, just to see what might be in there. Lo and behold, many, many tiny fishies!!

Now, this puddle has probably been there for no more 48 hours. Perhaps the fish were estivating in the mud? Do we have any annual type killis down here? Some one, please explain and possibly identify(which I know will be near impossible without pictures or even a decent description).

If I had a tank set up, I would go scoop some, but alas I do not. Oh well.

Anyhoo, it's thing like this that make me love Florida because it sure isn't the hour-long 4 mile drive to work. Gotta love Spring Breakers and snowbirds;)
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

I Love Florida! Empty Re: I Love Florida!

Post by FishVixen Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm

There are all kinds of killies in the area. Leastest (? spelling) is very common killie around here but they are live bearers.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 am

Yes there are loads of annual killis, the rainy season makes it a good place for them here!

I think most of us have had a ditch tank at one point in time Very Happy I know I did!!!!
    zeketaz
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 am

When you get tanks set up I know what you will be doing lol. Have to have at least one dedicated to ditch, canal, and lake fish Laughing
    joefish72

Post by joefish72 Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Yeah, there are all kinds of killis around. I have one that is about 2 inches that I caught in fron of my house. My ditch is dry for 360 days a year but the one week it stays flooded we get all kinds of fish in it From catfish to cichlids, we never know what is coming each year.
    crw.npt
    crw.npt

Post by crw.npt Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Does anybody know of a good ID guide to Florida bait and nongame fish?
    joefish72

Post by joefish72 Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:03 pm

That's pretty much everything that is not a regular catfish, bass, bream, crappie, or gar.

The list would be huge since so much stuff has been dumped into the estuaries and lakes.
    crw.npt
    crw.npt

Post by crw.npt Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Very true. I did stumble upon this thoughhttp://www.aka.org/sks/sks/pages/fcg.html while looking at the Suncoast Killi Association website. Dropped the guy an e-mail, so we will see. All the reviews I've seen are pretty positive.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:43 pm

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/fish/freshwater-fish/
    I usually start with fwc, they have lots of links to university's and stuff that you can follow to hopefully find what you are looking for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 am