Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Sand Q

Fern
    Admin

Re: Sand Q

Post by Fern on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 pm

when I had fw it was all with the crystal sands silica pool filter sand over dirt. Never had algae issues till I sold off too many plants and upset the light-nutrient-plant level.

I think I need a bigger tank........ bounce
    reefkpr

This article list problems with silicates in salt systems.

Post by reefkpr on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:24 am

How does Silicate and Silicic Acid get into your Aquarium

Many water sources contain silicates or silicic acid, or compounds that contain these elements and these compounds eventually break down, adding silicates and silicic acid to your aquarium's water.

In aquariums where sandy or other forms of substrate are used, silicate can leach "out" of these compounds, and enter the tank's water very quickly. It usually only takes a few weeks for this to happen (at the maximum). Often it happens much sooner. The latter is especially the case if silica sand is used as the substrate in the aquarium (this is too often the case,unfortunately). Although less common now than a year or so ago, hobbyists were adding "play sand" to their tanks to build up a substrate. Play sand and so-called Blasting sand are very high in silicate and should be avoided if you wish to keep silicates low.

I have made reference to removing silicates and silicic acid from the water. Please understand this to mean that you should attempt to keep their levels as low as you can. You will never really be able to remove "all" of these compounds. Recommended safe levels are below 0.5 ppm, or half of one part per million.

These silicate compounds then start building up in your tank's water since nothing is removing them, unless you actually take some measures to prevent them from doing so. When they build up to sufficient levels or concentrations, brown algae start to appear in patches first (often on the glass or acrylic panes of the tank). Mind you the patches can be hard, filamentous, slimy and can take on various other forms, depending on which particular diatom is growing in the tank.

The real dangerous types are the encrusting diatoms. They often populate the base of corals and grow upwards, pushing the polyp away from the skeleton. Receding of the coral then takes place. This is a real bad situation as, if this continues, the corals will recede more and more and will start to disintegrate, get infected, and you will loose the coral altogether.

Do not underestimate this danger. This can happen in a matter of a few days. I have personally seen an Elegance coral being overgrown by diatoms on its skeletal base and become totally wasted in a matter of 5 days.

Many hobbyists are under the impression that using reverse osmosis water or deionized water will solve the problem, and that doing so will remove the silicates and silicic acid from that water. This is, unfortunately, not the case. Such units, even if combined, will remove silicate and silicic acid for a very short period of time only and, then, the silicate and silicic acid will get through the membrane and the resins and will start to build up in the tank.

By a short period of time I mean in a matter of days, depending on how much silicate and silicic acid the water you are treating actually contains. Tests have shown that, when treating water with 14 ppm of silicate, the silicate and silicic acid came through the membrane and the resins used in combination with the R.O. unit, after less than 100 gallons of water had passed through the filtration set-up (lab. notes ref. 95/6/-012)

This is really not much water when you consider that most hobbyists believe that using reverse osmosis, deionization or a combination of both, gives them water quality of very high purity levels. Obviously this is not so, and that belief is a totally false one". R.O. and D.I. remove silicates and silicic acid for "some" time" only, after which the membrane of the reverse osmosis filter and the resins in the deionizers let the compounds through.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Hm, neat piece. But that is concerning salt water. How much does this pertain to fresh water. If it's thought to be a bad idea than I won't do it. But if it's unknown what will happen in fresh and won't hurt the fish I would be willing to give a shot for the sake of knowing. However with the mixed answers I am a bit wiery.
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 pm

I had it in a tank I was breeding and raising angels in and it was just fine. My mom is using it no problems.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Laughing this is the most confused thread ever Laughing
    somehow salt came up, silica in salt is bad news.
    In fresh you are fine and dandy, go for it dude!

Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Haha ya that got kinda everywhere lol. Ok, so i will! go ahead and do the black silica sand with dirt. On my planted bowfront with angels Very Happy
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 am

Lol not sure how or why salt was even brought up as this was a freshwater topic but it all good. And has great info for salt beginers wondering about the sand Smile
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:36 am

Haha ya it got a little off topic...but I learned some stuff! Lol
    reefkpr

Post by reefkpr on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:52 pm

sorry for bringing up salt but that is the only experience I have had with silicates in a tank.
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 pm

No problemo reefkpr. It's a great piece for new salties. Might should put a sticky of the paragraph up in the salt section for future reference.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Fern wrote:crystal sands pool filter sand at home depot is $6 for 50lbs, larger grain size than most so no dust storms!
    Last time I went I couldn't find it, Home Depot employee showed me some white powder in a box when I asked about pool filter sand.
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Ive had no luck finding PFS at Lowes or HD

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:38 pm

I used regular general purpose sand in my last tank and the sand had to be washed sooo much to get it clean it wasn't worth the effort. Now I'm using Caribsea "supernaturals" substrate.
    zeketaz

Post by zeketaz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:25 pm

That stuff is expensive isn't it?
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 pm

daniels and 41 that home depot almost always has it.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 am

zeketaz wrote:That stuff is expensive isn't it?
    I know a guy Laughing

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am

Joe, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't any aquatic connection you don't have! Even after an hour or so of cave researching I find you by chance, lol.
    has no life

Post by has no life on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 pm

joe's the man !!!!!!!! you need it he can get it
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Haha well i need more room in my apt for more tanks! lol i should say that carefully cause he can build something crazy where i could hold more tanks ha.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 am

Sarge wrote:Haha well i need more room in my apt for more tanks! lol i should say that carefully cause he can build something crazy where i could hold more tanks ha.
    I've been wanting to do an entertainment center with tanks on either side. How awesome would it be to have a flat screen surrounded by tanks?
    Sarge

Post by Sarge on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Joe...that is an epic idea! One of my 55's I bought from a guy who had it sitting on top of his entertainment center. He painted the frame to match the unit. It was pretty cool. I would have taken the stand too, but I didn't want to put it back on cause it was kinda shaky, plus it was for a tube tv.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:04 am