Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Any *tricks* to breeding Swordtails?

Any *tricks* to breeding Swordtails?

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Are swordtails generally harder to breed than other livebearers? I have had no prblems with platties, mollies, or guppies, just the swords.
    zeketaz

Re: Any *tricks* to breeding Swordtails?

Post by zeketaz on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Joe would know I think

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm

If I have no progress by next month or so I'll ask him about it at the next meeting. He gave me some brick red swords that one of my neon green males is going crazy for. That might be interesting...

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm

There shouldn't be any problems with swords. I have had success with just about every kind there is. Those red bricks are almost as bad as mollies. The males pester the females, fight for the females, and they are always looking to breed more.

The only ones I ever have a problem with are the koi swords, for some reason they don't survive in my tanks. Went through about a hundred of them last year before I gave up. I tried everything from diff temps, diff ph, nothing helped keep them alive. They also came from one of the largest suppliers and I've heard mixed reviews about their fish handling practices so maybe it wasn't my fault.

I also just got a couple pairs of "twin bar swords" can't wait to breed them out.

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 pm

One other thing swords and platies cross so keep them apart.

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:27 pm

So I think I may have recieved the warning of swords and platties cross breeding a little too late :/ Before I got the brick reds I had one neon green sword with 3 platties (1m, 2f) the male platty NEVER seems interested in breeding, but I found some itty bitty fry that are suspiciously spotted like the male sword...Does anyone know if platty/sword hybrids are fertile??

joefish72

Post by joefish72 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Ktk05 wrote:So I think I may have recieved the warning of swords and platties cross breeding a little too late :/ Before I got the brick reds I had one neon green sword with 3 platties (1m, 2f) the male platty NEVER seems interested in breeding, but I found some itty bitty fry that are suspiciously spotted like the male sword...Does anyone know if platty/sword hybrids are fertile??
    YEs they are, most of the newer sword strains are platy mix.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 am