Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

ewwww!!! disaster.

snookemz

ewwww!!! disaster.

Post by snookemz on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:51 am

I was changing the substrate in my 30gallon (well, finishing the process, I changed it 1/4 once a week to keep it all cool in there and I was on the last 1/4)
    I had seen these worms in there before - after the evil daycare child dumped a poptart, temp tattoos, and god only knows what else in my tank (that's why I get for going pee) but after some vigorous gravel cleaning I thought all was well.
    Not so much.
    I found probably 12 of these worms in the last 1/4. Brown worms, not white. About 2-4'' long (varied) and banded. They looked like very thin earth worms. DISGUSTING!!!

I got all the gravel out and hopefully all the worms - I left that 1/4 bare for a while so any interested fish could find a worm.
    The old gravel is blue ugly rock. The new is volcanic rock - flora max substrate. I don't know if it makes a difference on crazy brown worms.

Now, once they died they turned a white color, but while alive they were very brown.

What caused it and how can I prevent it? I generally feed light but my daughter did give the fish a ton of food about 2wks ago. The poptart disaster happened in December. I never saw another worm after I did all the gravel cleaning and water changes. Ya know, not til I scooped up the gravel and found a nasty suprise.

I know the white worms are caused from overfeeding - I suspect that will be the general idea on these nasties, but where do they come from? Worms don't just appear where food is, they have to start somewhere and then grow on the food - right? Is there a worm egg in the flakes or something?!? And what are these nasty brown ones called?
    Fern
    Admin

Re: ewwww!!! disaster.

Post by Fern on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:22 pm

They very well could be some insect larva. Blood worms are midge (I think) Larva and I have had those appear in my tanks from time to time.
    Black worms almost fit that description, they are a common live food and live in the tank for months.
    Any chance of a pic of them?
    http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html
    That is a good place to start on figuring out what they are.

Most small worms and critters end up being eaten by fish, so in the end most are free food. But some are predatory so it is a good idead to figure out what they are.
    snookemz

Post by snookemz on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:57 pm

I may be able to get a pic of a dead one - I'm still digging through the blue gravel and figuring out if I should boil and keep it or toss it. There were some nice river rocks in there that I want to keep so I'm sorting - slowly...I wish I had gloves lol There's one dead one in the sink of the mud room right now that's still brown - but I think that's because I drowned it in super hot water, like I blanched a worm. gross.
    snookemz

Post by snookemz on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Ok so look similar to the tubifex on that page, the description sounds right with how they move except they're bigger - longer than 2'' for a lot of them, and dirt brown, no red to them. gross gross gross is what they are! I had to dissect a worm in 7th grade and I had to opt out because worms are NOT my thing. I think the teacher wanted to fail me until he witnessed the gag reflex lol
    must look up black worms.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:39 pm

http://sunny-stars.com/blackworms.aspx
    http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/DrewesC/htdocs/Lvfacts.htm
    http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20Food,%20Blackworms.htm
    I would have taken pics of them.... But I didn't remember till after I dumped the last of them to my discus Embarassed

Let the gravel bake in the sun spread out for a few weeks and then a good rinsing and they should be long gone.
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 am

I agree the sun will kill the eggs also if there are any.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm