Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

what the heck?!

Barnacle

what the heck?!

Post by Barnacle on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:08 pm

these are very thin like hair-seem to have a head?Ive never seen them but it's got to be some kind of parasitic worm.HELP!
    zeketaz

Re: what the heck?!

Post by zeketaz on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Is it planaria or how ever it's spelt.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 pm

not planaria.... I have no idea! I will bust out the books later! If you end up needing some levemasol to kill em I have some
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

looks larva stage of something buy the way it moves. Anything new in the tank recently?

mike205

Post by mike205 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:27 pm

dude thats from over feeding ive had those before
    this is what you need to do to get rid of them do a good substrate cleaning and a 50% water change and clean your filters really good then dont feed you fish for a day or two so that they will eat the worms if there are any left and watch how you feed and they will die off
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:55 pm

http://www.seanet.com/~leska/Online/Guide.html
    Search all those worms and see what fits..... sorry thats the best I can come up with scratch
    Defiantly NOT planeria.
    Fron

Post by Fron on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:19 am

Ok these worms are very common in fresh water tanks most of the time you dont even see them till there is an out break. The out break is from uneatin food in the tank and these worms thrive on that. You can do a good cleaning but make sure you do not take out too much of your biological filtration you know the good bacteria. You can also not feed the fish for a few days and when you do cut back on the amount so it wont happen again. They are less common in am african tank if you use salt but they still are in there. 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons of water will help also if you want to put aquarium salt in your tank. Believe it or not aquarium salt in a tank is great it will also help keep ick controlled. There are some species of fish that will also help control them and some common ones are the clown loach (they are great for rooting around the gravel or sand and help to keep it clean) but they are also snail eaters or the good old cory cats are also good for that. If I can be of any further help let me know. Good luck and dont freak out they are not harmful to your fish.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 pm