Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

4 posters

Plant ID help please

joefish72

Plant ID help please Empty Plant ID help please

Post by joefish72 Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 am

I don't remember where I bought it, what it was called or anything else about it. What I do know is it grows great in my sons little 10 gallon tank with nothing other than the bulb that came with the tank. I have been clipping it for a few months and it always looks like the picture. As fast as I cut it new shoots emerge. I just seperated it into 4 plants so I hope they all look like this soon. I woud love to know what it is though since it's so easy to keep.
    Plant ID help please DSC03059
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Plant ID help please Empty Re: Plant ID help please

Post by Fern Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Giant hygro!
    Does look like it could use a touch of iron, the yellowing in between the veins is a sign of iron deficiency.

Cool thing about those plants is they can grow clear out of the tank! They do drop most of their under water leaves when they do that and the above water leaves get a little thicker and tougher, I have one growing a good 2' out of a shrimp tank.
    joefish72

Post by joefish72 Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:58 pm

I don't doubt that the plant may need iron but most of the damage is from the marbled crayfish those things are like water termites, almost as bad as apple snails.
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 am

Fern.. my concern.. albeit from a novice perspective.. Iron deficiency.. any prob with the fish with the addition of iron?.. New world and Africans?.. Bill in Va.
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Iron will not harm the fish But I always just used it sparingly when I would see plants turning lighter, Remember some africans are not going to work with plants as they will eat them in a day or 2. (expensive food LOL)
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:45 pm

I always do half dose of any plant additives, have yet to see the difference between a half and full dose!
    Never had any bad effects using flourish iron or flourish excel, both fish and inverts do0 just fine.

They are hardy little plants for the most part! Nibbling on is something they handle pretty darn well!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content