Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

Dusty Tank Water

jcamaro

Dusty Tank Water

Post by jcamaro on Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 pm

I have a 55gal with a Emperor 400 and a Whisper filter that can handle a 30 gal. My problem is the water it has particles that are very small floating around. The water is clear but it looks like it has moonbeams floating through it, thats the best way I can say it. Like dust, not a lot but not clearless like I would like. I mean I have seen tanks that look like Gin. I have been out of this for some time and now the equipment is different with the media being already made up to make things easy. What can I use to help with this problem, can I add something to the filters to trap these small moonbeams? Or is this normal for todays equipment. In my day we used Glass Wool and carbon
    Fern
    Admin

Re: Dusty Tank Water

Post by Fern on Wed May 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Carbon is still very much in use.

What you need is like 50 micron filter cloth, it comes in cut to size sheets and it traps all the tiny stuff that escapes most standard filter media.
    Now if you want it even more clear get the 100 micron.
    They both clog up fairly quickly because they catch such tiny stuff but they are good to have on hand for a day or 2 of use to pull out the itty bitty junk.
    jcamaro

Dusty Tank Water

Post by jcamaro on Wed May 11, 2011 3:47 pm

where can I get it, all I have around is Petco and the like.
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern on Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 pm

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4353&pcatid=4353
    There's a link to buy it from dr foster & smith.
    The 50 micron will do the job very well and will take a few days to be fully clogged up. The 100 micron pulls much smaller stuff and will clog much quicker.
    It really all depends on how super clear you want your water.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 am