Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

+3
Fern
FishVixen
jcamaro
7 posters

Lost In The Passed And Confused

jcamaro
    jcamaro

Lost In The Passed And Confused Empty Lost In The Passed And Confused

Post by jcamaro Sun May 08, 2011 3:23 pm

I have been away from this for sometime. Now that i am back I see a lot of things have changed in the way of equipment. Can someone explain to me what a sump does and is it best to have one on a Freshwater tank, and why. Also what is CO2 for? I mean I am lost here with all the new stuff. We didn't have Power Heads back in my day! Can someone walk me through this new stuff
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Lost In The Passed And Confused Empty Re: Lost In The Passed And Confused

Post by FishVixen Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 am

Well I wouldn't do CO2 in the beginning because they are a pain, Seachem Flourish Excel does the same thing for plants and easier to control.If you stay with low to medium light plants you really don't need CO2. A planted sump for fresh water is great depending on the type of fish (really great for South american fish). Plants are great for keeping perimeters in check IMO. I only use powerheads if I'm doing a stream tank (heavy movement) or a NPT (naturally planted tank) with just a small movement to the water to prevent dead spots.

I was in the same boat 3 years ago when I restarted the hobby with over 20 year gap. Biggest plus in the hobby now is the internet.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 am

Sumps are for big tank. Hang on back filters are still the best and easiest, aquaclear makes a very good very simple hang on filter.
    CO2 is a pain in the neck and unnecessary.

its still just gravel or sand, heater, hang on filter and fish.....

OHHH and you need dechlorinator now! Get Prime, its the best/cheapest in my opinion. No need to age the water with the stuff!!!!
    Barnacle
    Barnacle

Post by Barnacle Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Welcome-to the future!
    As much as things change,they remain the same.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Tue May 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I fully agree Wink
    bingerz

Post by bingerz Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 am

yep!! i was away for awhile too and just got back in january. last time i had fish...the internet was still new. i mean it was back on dialup days. nowadays you have the internet...you have soo much information, you can see what fish are out there...buy fish from the other side of the world. it's awesome! really there's soo much help around if you have any problems with your fish and alot of cool ppl too!!
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:30 am

When I started in 1966 a computer was still part of Dick Tracy! Laughing If you could not find info in the library it was luck and a wing of a prayer for any unusual fish. You always started with where they came from if you could find that out.
    greydragon

Post by greydragon Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:10 pm

when i started in the 70's we had to go by what the guy at the pet shop said and maybe if you where lucky they had books. At my favorite store the guy always told us to check parameters before the water change and after and to right down what we saw the fish doing that way if we where lucky and got babies we could duplicate what we had done and see if we got more babies(i have since gotten out of the habit of writing every thing down)
    Strikingthematch
    Strikingthematch

Post by Strikingthematch Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Fern wrote:

OHHH and you need dechlorinator now! Get Prime, its the best/cheapest in my opinion. No need to age the water with the stuff!!!!

Wanted to add that you can also buy this for ponds. It is twice as concentrated and comes in a gallon container. Exactly the same thing but WAY cheaper for more and since it is x2 as concentrated it should last most people for years.

*Link* Pond Prime
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Laughing I'm lucky if the 4L jug lasts me 8 months.....But I shall look into the pond version! Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 am