Fish Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fish Addicts

A great place to talk fish all day long! Be it fresh water or salt water all are welcome here!

Welcome to our watery home, Thanks for joining

3 posters

Basic info on Dwarf Shrimp

FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Basic info on Dwarf Shrimp Empty Basic info on Dwarf Shrimp

Post by FishVixen Fri May 06, 2011 10:15 am

This is just basic info on dwarf shrimp

Dwarf shrimp can be kept in small tanks. 5 gals is a good size to start a colony. a sponge filter is your best filtration for the tank. Shrimp love plants so throw in some mosses and java fern.

Most dwarf shrimp live 1.5 years to 3 years but there are some that live longer such as the Hawain Red Shrimp which can live up to 20 years. the 2 main species are neocardina and cardina which most grow 1.5" to 2.5". You may use small mouth fish such as Endlers and small Rasboras in shrimp tanks if you wish.

With proper water conditions most shrimp will breed very easily and abundantly. There are some species where the larva stage needs brackish water so they will not breed in your freshwater tank. Adults (if not starving) will not eat there young but remember if you have fish in the tank the young are very tiny and good food. Shrimp will interbreed neocardinas will breed with neocardinas and cardinas with other cardinas so species only tanks are recommended. Neocardinas will not breed with cardinas so one of each may be kept together.

This is just the basics for Dwarf Shrimp I hope this helps those of you thinking of starting a shrimp tank as they are fun to have.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Basic info on Dwarf Shrimp Empty Re: Basic info on Dwarf Shrimp

Post by Fern Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 pm

A small sea shell makes a good addition to the tank for a natural buffer.
    Never remove the molting's, they like to eat them.
    Most shrimp become berried after molting.
    They require very little food to be happy, its very very easy to overfeed them!
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:24 am

One of my forum members is picking up some.. we haven't a clue as to what to select... I'm putting them in a 10G with the 5 endlers I'm getting from Ben.. We worked out a deal on the Holey Rock.. 18 lbs for $15.00 and 5 endlers!... It's great not shipping!.. Bill in Va.
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:33 am

What kind of shrimp? Fern has cherry reds, tigers (some young are blue tigers) and blue bees.
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:46 am

I haven't a clue.. James of the Cuban club piqued my interest and Nphocus of our group somehow hooked up with James.. Oh.. I turned him onto James due to plants and NP goes up to that neck of the woods often... You all would like meeting bobby.. Nphocus... (In Focus)... Bill in Va.
    Hell.. ya never met ryan (Alowisus nor Stagarlee) Jason!.. Both great folks.. Bill Still in Va.
    FishVixen
    FishVixen
    Modorater

Post by FishVixen Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:01 am

Well if they are from James they are good breeds. I'm so happy you have gotten involved in the hobby you have taken my place (and beyond) in Richmond.
    Fern
    Fern
    Admin

Post by Fern Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:18 am

Lots of plants and a good sponge over the filter intake and they will breed no matter what kind you get (as long as they are freshwater for full life cycle)
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:29 am

Yea.. your comment Fern about brackish water... Hence I copied the link to that thread and threw it over to my bud... He's selecting the shrimp... He is a network engineer support manager so has tons of time on his hands!... Check out his link on our Richmond Forum.. (with a few remote guests:..) You'll be amazed at how much research he's done in less than a week.. plus one night this week we got together and built a home made Fluidized bed filter at a total cost of 24.00... can handle like 2000 gallons of water or 150 lbs of fish and their waste!... We did do some dumpster diving at a few construction sites!.. Tks for the heads up Vix!.. Picked up a length of 4" PVC eight feet long.. used some left over irrigation piping for the feed .... Check out the link on the Richmond forum if your really bored...: http://aquaticfriendsunited.forumotion.com/t186-looking-to-buy-or-build-a-new-filtration-system
    williemcd
    williemcd

Post by williemcd Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 am

Oh.. we worked until 5:30 a.m. building that sucker... It's now coming back here to run my pond.. he wants to improve the design... Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 am